Monday, June 18, 2007

Technology in Schools: Some Say It Doesn't Compute!

This article talks about all the reasons technology may not be so good for schools. They talk about the possibilities of visual and postural problems, emmissions from the machines, children being sedentary instead of active and software that is not necessarily relevant. The question was asked are they really motivated to learn by the computer or motivated to play. Sometimes I wonder this myself when I put my 1st graders on them, but at the same time some children are more willing to do the math facts on the computer and practice then the old fashioned flash card way. It talks about research that shows different schools that have done studies and they show no correlation between computers and achievement. I think this means we need to keep studying the idea of computers in the classroom and make sure it is harmful or helpful!

No comments: